SPORT: MTB’er and group leader for Dirt Chix
HOMETOWN: Kamloops, BC, Canada
ABOUT Dana Heyman & Dirt Chix
I don’t race per say, but I do lead a Ladies Mountain Bike Group here in Kamloops with weekly group rides each Thursday evening. We are called the Dirt Chix and have been running the group rides for the last 12 years. We currently have 110 ladies signed up for the 2018 season with us and we average 50 riders per week on our group rides. We have done demos and product knowledge evenings and could certainly do the same for Swagman if you wish.
Our season began on April 5th and will run each Thursday night until the end of October.
In addition, we have the following on the calendar for 2018:
- The Dirt Chix Trail Side Bike Maintenance Clinic ran on April 13th at our sponsor shop, The Bicycle Café
- I will plan and host the annual Dirt Chix Beginner Skills Clinic in July – date to be determined by Bicycle Café
- I will organize and host, along with the Dirt Chix, the 2nd annual “Find ’n Fill” Growler Hunt on June 21st. We anticipate over 100 participants for this popular community event. 9-12 Beer ‘Growlers” will be hidden across a well known trail network (Pineview Valley) and clue sheets will be sold for $5.00 each at the start of the event. Growlers contain a coupon for a free fill at one of our local brewery sponsors. I growler per person, 3 hour time limit. Last year was our first year creating this event and it was a huge success we hope to build on this year.
- I am also a LIV Ambassador so I attend many races, demos and bike events throughout the riding season, promoting the LIV brand and assisting women with their bike purchases.
- I also sit as a Director on the Kamloops Performance Cycling Centre (KPCC) Community Board – tasked with the management of 4 local trail networks in Kamloops; The Kamloops Bike Ranch, The Pineview Trail Network, Harper Mountain Network and the Isobel Lake Winter Trail Network (for Fat Bikes) so I am involved in many trail projects, community events, fundraising and grant writing for those networks throughout the year.
- Dirt Chix Annual Season Wrap Up – December 6, 2018 – hosted by the Bicycle Café, where we have draw prizes, motivational speakers, (Catharine Pendrel attended and provided a play-by-play of her bronze medal Olympic run in 2016) and thank members for their contributions to the community bike trails and projects through their annual membership fee donations.